Jamaican Slang Words and Phrases
I came up with a long list of popular Jamaican slang words and phrases used in everyday conversations.
The list includes greetings, street slangs, female slangs, pickup lines, proverbs, and more. A standard English translation is also provided with each.
Without too much unnecessary talking, lets get into it.
Jamaican Greeting Phrases
Below is a list of common lines Jamaicans use when greeting another person.
- Waa gwaan?
- What is going on? / What’s up?
- Weh yah deal wid?
- What are you dealing with?
- How yuh do? / How dee do?
- How are you doing?
- Wah di pree?
- What’s the motive?
- Everything bless?
- Is everything ‘great’ with you?
- Waa guh dung?
- What’s going down with you?
- Weh yuh upto?
- What you up to?
Here are some popular and common Jamaican greeting responses:
- Mi deh yah
- Am here
- Mi nah deal wid
- Am not dealing with anything really
- Everything criss man
- Everything is ‘good’
- Nutn really, just a gwaan tek it easy enuh
- Nothing really, just chilling
- Yeah man, everything is everything
- Yes, all is well
- Nutn really, just a wul a medz
- Nothing really, just holding a meditation
- Deh yah enuh, a gwan maths up some food
- Am here, just cocking some food
Jamaican Goodbye Phrases
There are a number of ways to say goodbye in patois. Here are a few:
- Inna di marrows enuh
- See you tomorrow
- Likle more / Lata (late-a)
- Inna di lights
- See you in the morning
- Mi gaan
- Am gone
- Mi agu lef yah now
- Am leaving right now
- Mi a come guope a yard now
- Am going home now
- Mi wi si yuh lata
- I will see you later
Jamaican Street Slang Phrases
Lets take you to the streets! Below is a list of slangs used mostly by the inner city youths of Jamaica.
- Mad up yuh ting bro gad
- Do your thing bro
- Man a gyalist ina di street
- Am a ladies man out here
- Up enuh mi g
- Much respect bredrin
- Nahmal a lie / Nawmal a lie (Normal, a lie?)
- This is normal, am I lying?
- Stop bait up yuhself, fassy
- Stop exposing yourself, punk
- Yuh done know di badness guh enuh
- You already know we are real gangsters
- A who yuh man?
- Who are you suppose to be?
- Mi nuh play wid bwoy a road
- I do not play around with people
- Pon a big man level
- On a higher note
- Big woman ting
- Real talk
- How yah pree mi suh?
- Why are you looking at me like that?
- Wah di pree? / y pre?
- What’s the motive? / what’s on your agenda?
- Stop loud up mi ting dawg
- Stop letting everyone know my business bro
- Waa gwaan daadi?
- What’s up gangster?
- We a beat dem bad
- We are beating them bad
- Di ting shot!
- The thing is lit!
- Di ting crawb up
- The thing is grimy
- Dawg yah waste man enuh
- You are a useless man
If you need a vocal sample pack of some Jamaican street slangs words and phrases, you can get it here: Jamaican Street Slang Vocal Sample Pack
Jamaican Female Sayings
Here are a few lines used mostly by young Jamaican females:
- A yah suh nice!
- I like the vibe, it’s exciting
- Wah gwaan goodie?
- What’s up girl?
- A dat wid you now
- That’s what I can’t stand with you
- Yeah you
- Yuh know mi got di good good
- You know I have a honeypot / good vagina
- Mi iggy fi har
- I want to fight her (Iggy means ignorant)
- Doh mek mi done yuh
- Don’t let me curse you out
Jamaican Pickup Lines and Lust Phrases
You should know by now that Jamaican men have the sweetest mouth and wittiest pickup lines. A real ‘yaad man’ also fantasize a lot about women.
Here is a list of lustful phrases and pickup lines commonly used by Jamaican men:
- Jah know da gyal deh thick
- Damn that girl is thick
- Baby yuh skin clean like Jesus police record
- Girl you have beautiful skin
- Baby yuh body set gud like ice inna mi freeza
- Girl you’re so sexy
- Babes da smile deh coming like it waa gimi diabetes
- You have a very sweet smile
- Is a man like me fi a stomp out da supn deh enuh b. Mi can seet inna yuh yiy seh yuh man nah strike it right
- I should be the man for you. I can see it in your eyes that your man is not giving you pleasure
- Pssst browning, beg yah minute a yuh time nuh
- Hey pretty lady, can I get a minute of your time
- Mi woulda put one pon yuh enuh
- I would make love to you
- Mi nah lie enuh, mi really like yuh enuh b
- No lies, I really like you girl
- From wa day mi notice mi jus cyah stop think boh yuh
- From the other day I noticed I just cant stop thinking about you
- Baby yuh ting fat till e buff up inna yuh jeans
- Your kitty is printing out in your jeans
- Da bwoy deh a clown b, a me fi a deh wid yuh
- Your man is not right for you, I should be the one to bring you pleasure
- Beg yah taste off yuh lips dem nuh, the economy a gwaan a way all sweety a get expensive
- Can I get a kiss
Here’s a list of some thoughtful Jamaican proverbs:
- Wa nuh kill yuh, fatten yuh
- What doesn’t break you, makes you stronger.
- Cowad man kip soun bone
- Its better to be a coward stay alive than to lose your life by being impulsive.
- Old fire stick easy fi ketch
- Old relationships are easily re-kindled.
- When trouble tek yuh pickney shut fit yuh
- When you are in trouble you will do unimaginable things to try and get yourself out of it.
- Wa gaan bad a mawnin cyah come good a night
- Things that went bad from the start wont magically become good in the end.
- Mi come fi drink milk, mi nuh come fi count cow
- I came to do my job, not to watch or gossip about what doesn’t concern me.
- Yuh cyah ketch quako, yuh ketch him shout
- If you cannot find him, get someone close to him.
- Wanti wanti cyah get it, but getty getty nuh want it
- Those who want it cant have it, but it comes easily to those who do not care to have it.
- Poun a fret cyah buy ounce a debt
- Sitting and worry wont pay the bills.
- Long run, short ketch
- No matter how long you run from your punishment, you will be caught one day.
- Taam drunk but taam nuh fool
- Tom might appear drunk, but he is aware of what is going on.
- Sorry fi mawga dawg, him tun roun bite yuh
- Sorry for the unfortunate, they turn around and disrespect you when things get better.
- Good fren betta dan pocket money
- Its better to have good friends around than to have a lot of money but no one to enjoy it with.
- Bush have eyes and wall have ears
- You would be shocked to know who knows your deepest secrets.
Jamaican Slang Words and Phrases – Extras
Here are some extra patois slang words and saying:
- You see it / You see what am saying
- You see me
- Yuh done know
- You already know
- Mi nuh too sure
- Am not too sure
- Mi nuh care weh yah seh
- I don’t care about what you are saying
- A mi fi tell yuh
- I should be the one to tell you
- Yuh jus a waste time
- You are just wasting time
- Yah wase a time
- You don’t deserve my time
- Deh yah pon di enze
- Am at home / I’m at the usual location
- A same thing mi dida pree enuh
- I was thinking of the same thing
- Mi a fawud
- Am coming
- Yah real scabby enuh
- You are a scavenger
Please note that the list is always updating, so you can check back a next time for some fresh words, pickup lines and phases, etc.
Bless up yuself zeen!
2 thoughts on “Jamaican Slang Words and Phrases – with English Translation”
Nice. will use some of these pickup lines lol
Comments are closed.